Sunday, July 18, 2010

Missed Moments

Ainsley's 4th birthday was on April 12th. When I was pregnant and it really looked like I would at least make it to my amnio appt. shortly before her birthday, I decided to plan her birthday party a few weeks early (March 28th) so that I could be there and we wouldn't have to drag two preemie babies somewhere with a bunch of germie kids.



Well, of course, fate decided that I was to miss her birthday party. I cannot tell you how much I cried in the hospital that day, knowing she was at her favorite little pizza place with her friends and my husband and they were blowing out candles on her cake and singing to her while I was trying to stay pregnant. (The boys arrived the next day.) Mike brought her to my hospital room later and we opened gifts together, shared more cake, and I cuddled with her as best as I could being bed-bound.



I am so blessed with Ainsley. I don't know how I lucked out in getting such an amazing, kind, free-spirited young lady. She loves her brothers so much, has never displayed any jealousy or frustration with them (or us). I still have a hard time looking at her birthday pictures my girlfriends took for me and I was hoping she had forgotten my absence. But she said to me very simply the other night, "Mommy? You remember when you missed my birthday party because you were in the hospital getting ready to have my brothers?" I almost dropped my plate, waiting for her to suddenly burst into tears and tell me I had ruined her life or something. Then, almost as if she knew, she got up from her chair and hugged my leg and said so simply, "I love you, Mommy!"

Blessed, I tell you.

2 comments:

Cat said...

Cute as a button, inside and out

Heather said...

How sweet! She's gorgeous! And yes, Phoebe hasn't been jealous of her brothers at all and it's been over a year since her life has changed so drastically. How lucky are we?

Post a Comment